The City of Eureka’s Pathway to Payday is a four-day employment workshop that takes place in partnership with the Betty Kwan Chinn Day Center. This event focuses on the enhancement of application, resume & interview skills, & offers participants the opportunity to interview with real employers for real jobs, receiving tangible feedback that they can apply to future interviews.
To date, Pathway to Payday has garnered a 90+% success rate with participants who complete all four days receiving either a second interview or a job offer.
This week, 23 of our valued community members completed the December 2019 Pathway to Payday event while 22 of these individuals received either a second interview or a job offer. Further, the participating businesses had overwhelmingly positive feedback about the candidates they interviewed.
Below are some excerpts from the participant surveys collected:
What did you learn, take away &/or find the most helpful about the Pathway to Payday workshop topics?
- “That people still care about the less fortunate..”
- “Building confidence and interview skills, and improving as needed.”
- “It has been a long time since I’ve been job hunting, so it was helpful to understand what questions to ask and answer during the interview as well as what info to put on a resume and application.”
- “During the mock interviews, I was a little nervous. But the feedback definitely boosted my confidence.”
What would you say is the most valuable aspect of Pathway to Payday?
- “A chance to get your life back in order.”
- “It makes you believe!”
- “A very inspirational and uplifting program.”
- “All of the encouragement and confidence building & staff members and all of their help.”
- “I got not one but TWO follow up interviews!”
What did you enjoy/appreciate the most about your Pathway to Payday experience?
- “I appreciate the staff for helping us get back on our feet.”
- “The warmth and acceptance.”
- “People believing in me and showing me a path to a better life.”
- “Everyone in the group helping each other as a family.”
- “Everyone was so warm and caring and really wanted to see me succeed.”
- “I appreciated all of the encouragement, positive vibes, and hands on help. Plus Betty’s great food and friendly, comfortable atmosphere.”
While Pathway to Payday is open to the public, participants of UPLIFT Eureka are guaranteed a spot. UPLIFT Eureka is a program offered by the City of Eureka Community Services Department to support the houseless members of our community in accessing crucial community resources to obtain housing & employment & to reclaim their independence. Every individual that completed this week’s Pathway to Payday event currently does not have permanent housing, & their participation in this employment workshop is providing them with vital experiences and tools to help them work toward their goal of obtaining permanent housing.
The City of Eureka wants to thank the following businesses for participating in this life changing program:
- Express Employment Professionals
- Shred Aware
- The Sun Valley Group
- Eureka Wellness & Rehabilitation
- The Danco Group
- North Coast Cleaning Services
The City of Eureka Community Services Department’s mission is to provide for and enhance the quality of life and spirit of the community with a wide variety of recreational programs and services. The department consists of Parks, Trails, Harbor & Marina, Facility Maintenance, Sequoia Park Zoo, Environmental Programs, C.A.P.E., Eureka Golf Course, and Recreation Divisions.